The governorate was known as Nit Shamaa and its capital was Barazqaa which currently lies in the Menuf division.
Monofeya had two administrative divisions, "Cuneo" which was located between the Damietta branch and the Sea of Shebin and "Toa" which was located west of the Rosetta Branch.
Monofeya was divided into four administrative divisions, three of which are, "Toa" which includes the land between the Rosetta branch and the Bajoria Canal, "Upper Menuf" and "Lower Menuf."
In 1826 Mohammed Ali transferred the capital of Menufia from Menuf to Shibin Al Kawm as the later fell exactly in the center of the governorate. Other than Shibin el-Kawm, the governorate had four other administrative divisions which are Quweisna, Tala, Menouf and Ashmoon. In 1942, Al-Shuhadaa became a new administrative division and included parts from Shibin el-Kawm and Tala. In 1947, Bagour was created to encompass regions from Menuf, Ashmoun, Quweisna and Shibin el-Kawm. In 1955, five villages were taken from Tala and redistributed to Tanta. In 1960, Berket el-Sab' (Lake of the Lion) was established and consisted of former towns and villages of Tala, Quweisna and Shibin el-Kawm. In 1975, Sers el-Lyan became a city rather than a village after it was separated from Menuf. In 1991, the Sadat City was annexed to Monufia being its only region west of the Rosetta branch.
Monofeya's capital is the city of Shibin Al Kawm. The main towns of the governorate are Quweisna, Bagour, Tala, Bagour, Menouf, Ashmoun and Sers el-Lyan. It is a mainly agricultural governorate.
The governorate is famous for the production of crops like cotton, maize and wheat as well as vegetable crops such as potatoes and green beans from which a large part is exported. Agricultural land obtains water needs from Rosetta and Damietta branches of the Nile. Agriculture is generally the main activity of the population due to Monufia's fertile agricultural land.
• Total: 2,543.03 km2 (981.87 sq mi)
• Total: 3,270,404
• Density: 1,300/km2 (3,300/sq mi)